Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Final Crit + Future Exhibition

At our final crit, I showed examples of the postcards and envelopes, played the voicemails, and had printed pages of what the voicemails said hanging on the walls. (Still in the process of tracking down the classmate that took a picture of my crit wall! Coming soon...)

We discussed the kinds of reactions I received, most of which were just of people wanting answers as to who had sent them this photograph. Few questioned what it meant. One woman was extremely angry and threatening. Another caller chose to share the random (wrong) answers to a Justin Bieber crossword puzzle. And another person followed the instructions on their card (which said "Ask Me How I'm Doing. Leave a voicemail.")-- He asked me how I was doing and to call him back.

In reflection, I'm not sure whether or not this mode of communication worked. I would like to believe that most people were just as curious about the meaning of the photograph as they were about the sender.


It was discussed that my piece would work well as an installation, and I am thinking about setting up a projection system with the dialogue of the voicemails projected over images, while the voices play. Also, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment