Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Four Environments:: Critique

This critique was particularly long, but helpful. I hung my contact sheets up on the crit wall, along with my written notes. I quickly walked my classmates through my experiences at the four different locations, highlighting what sort of FEELINGS I got in each location. I explained which images I felt really expressed the true nature of the environment.

Zack asked me questions about each location-- what sort of issues did these places raise? What place did I find the most impactful? He then made comments about R. Hirt Jr and Detroit Antique Mall photos, pointing them out as perhaps the most visually peculiar.

We discussed the potential of each location and the cultural issues surrounding each organization.

Coming into the critique, I was most interested in the antique mall and the blood bank. I felt like they were really loaded guns for a visually interesting project. The Humane Society, however, was something that was particularly special to me in terms of cause/activism.

Here are some of my notes from this critique:




I left critique feeling very positive and encouraged. I was feeling really certain I was going to focus on the Antique Mall, but I wasn't sure what shape my project was going to take. I felt particularly interested in the hidden narratives these objects possessed and the way people re-appropriate them to their own lives after purchase. Do these stories disappear and become replaced with new stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment