Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Step Four: Form Development and Typography

TYPOGRAPHY
Look at the font families you have access to, the typography in your images, and make an initial selection (this is control) of fonts that are conceptually appropriate for your project. Use your chance methodology for choosing the font, the size, and the leading. Remember, you still control the variables-i.e., the sizes and leadings that you put through the chance process. Other aspects of typography will be determined through deliberate decisions (control).

CHANNEL
You choose (control) a channel (or system of parts)- print or digital- that is appropriate to the design activist concept you develop. Channel ideas will be presented and discussed in critique. Remember: project outcome must be located outside the classroom, preferably a public space.


The next step was to begin thinking about what sort of form we were going to create, what kind of type we were going to use, and what our message was going to be-- not particularly in that order.

At this point in my process, I had decided to focus on The Detroit Antique Mall, examining the way people value their possessions, the story behind these objects, and the idea that by purchasing these objects-- the consumer is giving them "new life." This was my concept, but what was my message?
Unsure of how to approach this step in the project, I began looking at some typefaces that I liked and felt in some way suited the antique mall. I tried to stay away from "vintagey" typefaces. If I wanted my message to be noticed, it was going to have to have a stark contrast to the typography already present in the environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment